If you’re like most business owners, you’re looking for ways to improve awareness and get your business recognized in your local market. Facebook is an effective way to get the word out about your business. But, like the tree that falls in the empty forest, having a Facebook business page is only as good as the number of people who see it.
So, how do you get more people to see your page?
We know it can be difficult to get your Facebook page noticed, to get page likes, and to increase the organic reach of your Facebook posts. Here are some ways to promote your business’s Facebook page for free so that you can expand your reach and get more customers from Facebook.
How to promote your Facebook page for free
Use these seven tips to promote your business on Facebook (for free!), increase engagement, and get more followers.
1. Build a base audience of friends and family on Facebook
Once you get your Facebook business page up and running, the next thing you need to do is to invite friends and family to “Like” your business page. Inviting friends and family to like your page is advantageous because it sets you up with a digital footprint on Facebook, and it provides you with a valuable test audience.
Invite your friends to like your business page by navigating to your page, clicking the three dots next to “Share,” and clicking “Invite Friends.” Type in your friends’ names, and click “Send Invite.”
Use your initial Facebook audience to:
- See what types of posts attract the most engagement–do people engage more with photos/videos or insider tips?
- Crowdsource ideas and suggestions for your business–ask people what they want to know and see.
- Generate word-of-mouth marketing through your networks–ask people to share and invite others to like your page.
Promoting a business page on Facebook that doesn’t have much life or engagement isn’t going to do much to help your business. Focus on building a quality audience first. The natural activity that fills up your page from that quality audience will then serve to promote your page.
Related: Get tips to build a winning Facebook marketing strategy.
2. Offer promotions and Facebook contests
Another way to promote your Facebook page is to offer something consumers would want in the form of an offer or Facebook contest or giveaway. The more interesting the incentive or deal, the more likely it is to generate “shares” and “likes.”
Promotional offers and Facebook contests include:
- Offering customer discounts for “shares” and “likes.”
- Holding a name drawing for products or services from your business–keep a record of new followers and pick a winner.
- Host an event (and create the event on Facebook) that your fans would want to share and bring friends to–get the word out about a new product, a cooking demonstration, or a tasting event–these can be virtual right now to accommodate social distancing.
Here’s an example of a shopping center holding a free (virtual) concert they’ll be streaming on Facebook and Instagram for their audience. This encourages Facebook fans and followers to invite their friends to join in on the fun!
3. Provide interesting and helpful content on Facebook
Social media pages are for being social. Chances are that you’re not going to make $1 million selling products on Facebook–Facebook isn’t about selling; it’s about connecting with your audience. Facebook page promotion is best done by connecting with your audience through interesting, useful, relevant, and helpful content.
Relevant content to share on Facebook includes:
- Timely tips and tricks: Decorating ideas or pictures for upcoming holidays, seasonal industry information.
- News and events: Provide information about upcoming industry events or business events.
- Interviews: Interview a customer or an important person in your niche and post a video. (Get Facebook video marketing tips here!)
- Behind the scenes: Show behind the scenes videos or pictures of your business or events.
This vet shares helpful information for pet owners, including this post warning cat owners about the dangers of heatstroke during the summer.
The higher the quality of your content, the more likely it is to get noticed and shared. When your followers share your content on Facebook, your business page is getting promoted for free.
>>Want to become a social media pro? Download our free guide: Social Media Marketing Simplified.
4. Share promotional updates to your Facebook business page
Did you know that you can actually promote your Facebook business page by promoting your products and services? If you want to keep customers up to date on your offerings through Facebook, you’ll be posting regularly, showing your audience that you want to keep them in the know, and attracting customers to your business–all of which serve to promote your Facebook page (and business) for free.
Here are some ways to engage in this Facebook page promotion strategy:
- Share updates on your most popular products.
- Promote new products, seasonal specials, and offers and deals you’re running.
- Post about extended or adjusted store hours.
- Let customers know when a product is back in stock.
This clothing boutique shares what’s in stock and gives customers a way to shop right through Facebook to promote their business. Plus, they get added exposure from fans and followers tagging their friends in the comments of outfits they like.
5. Share customer feedback
Customers are the lifeblood of your business, so share their thoughts with others. Use customer feedback as a way to engage other customers or open a dialogue. Tag customers in their feedback to increase the visibility of the Facebook post. If you don’t have any customer feedback, get some! Customer reviews are very important for small businesses. Learn how to ask customers for reviews here.
Don’t forget about user-generated content! Get your customers to post about your business on Facebook and tag your location so that they are promoting your page to their networks.
This restaurant shared a post from a user on Instagram, tagged them, and promoted a current special. This helps promote their Facebook business page to the original poster and includes an extra incentive for this wider network to visit them.
6. Interact with other businesses and influencers
Another way to promote your Facebook business page is to extend your network. You can extend your network on Facebook by liking and interacting with the Facebook pages of other businesses or influencers in your industry/niche. Link other businesses or influencers to your posts for cross-promotional marketing. If you link or share the updates from other businesses or influencers, they’ll be more likely to link to or share yours.
This restaurant tagged another local eatery in a post about delivering food to healthcare workers:
You should also follow local news media and people with a large influence–people who have lots of followers. Try to use the same conversation-starting tactics to gain access to their audience. Learn more about influencer marketing here.
7. Engage with your audience directly
A great way to get more likes and followers to your business’s Facebook page is to interact and increase engagement with those who follow you or comment on your posts. If a person comments on your post, thank them and follow up with a question related to the comment. Facebook’s algorithm shows your interaction with individual users on the News Feeds of users who follow your page as well as the individual’s Facebook News Feed.
Another way of engaging with individuals is to tag people in pictures or Facebook updates. Tagging not only alerts the individual to the fact that they were mentioned in the post, but it also shows up on others’ News Feeds.
Here are some ideas on how to engage with users on Facebook:
- Reply to any comment on your page: This is a simple way to interact with fans and let them (plus anyone visiting your page) know that you’re actively engaging with users on Facebook.
- Write about employees to give a behind-the-scenes: Ask employees to tag themselves in your picture and encourage them to share the post.
- Use the Facebook Polls feature: Encourage users to answer a question in your poll – it can be silly or serious–as long as it promotes engagement!
Pro tip: Make sure to add a location to your Facebook page so users can check in when they’re at your business.
Promote your Facebook page for free today
Promoting your Facebook page isn’t just about promoting your business. It’s about building up the quality of your page so that it is something that others will naturally promote for you. It’s about exploring and expanding the network in which you are promoting. It’s about growing the audience you are promoting to.
Follow these seven tips for how to promote your Facebook page:
- Build a base audience of friends and family on Facebook
- Offer promotions and Facebook contests
- Provide interesting and helpful content on Facebook
- Share promotional updates to your Facebook business page
- Share customer feedback
- Interact with other businesses and influencers
- Engage with your audience
58 Marketable March Social Media Ideas (+Tips, Holidays & More!)
30 Lucky St. Patrick’s Day Marketing Ideas, Social Posts & Email Subject Lines
15 Creative Instagram Bio Ideas & Examples for Businesses That Want to Stand Out
62 Follow-Worthy February Social Media Ideas & Holidays
10 Valentine's Day Social Media Ideas for Rosy Results (+Free Templates!)